The annual membership subscription shall be due on the 1st January each year. Categories of membership are:
- Junior: 12 years and over and under 16 years on the day of the swim
- Senior: 16 years and over on the day of the swim (Includes Veterans)
- Veteran: 45 years and over on the day of the swim
- Novices (1k) events 10years and over on the day of the swim
To join, click on one of the links below for the membership you wish to sign up to.Senior and Veteran | Junior | Social | Life
Affiliated club membership
The BLDSA offers affiliated membership to other open water swimming associations, at a cost of £125 a year. Some of the benefits of affiliation include:
- Public liability insurance up to £5million for your events and training sessions via the BLDSA policy – the cost of obtaining such insurance as a club independently is becoming more and more prohibitive, and many clubs are struggling to obtain insurance without the help of the BLDSA or another “governing body”
- Free publicity for your club – have your club’s website linked from ours, include your events in our calendar, include a report in the BLDSA annual report (sent to all our members). A great way to get your name out there to swimmers who may not have heard of you!
- Access to BLDSA equipment and facilities, including safety boats, for a small donation – often much less than the cost of hiring. (This benefit is subject to availability on the dates you wish to borrow equipment)
- Access to training – we run, from time to time, training events – especially safety related events (e.g. first aid training, safety update training, powerboat training etc.). Affiliated clubs are welcome to join us for these, either free of charge or for a much reduced fee (when compared to sourcing this training privately).
- Access to the experience and expertise of BLDSA officials – we are always very happy to help our affiliated clubs by offering advice. We also have a vast network of experienced volunteers, many of whom would be happy to help out at your events should you require extra pairs of hands!
- We accept applications for affiliated club membership from any “not for profit” open water swimming organisations based in the UK. We have also in the past arranged affiliate membership from organisations who are primarily pool based but wish to carry out some open water activity. We are sorry that we are unable to arrange membership for:
- profit making organisations
- organisations operating outside of the UK
- triathlon clubs
- In order to benefit from our insurance, you must:
- Agree to the BLDSA Health & Safety and Child & Vulnerable Adult Protection Policies
- Have certain key officials (including a Child & Vulnerable Adult Protection Officer) in place on your committee
- Submit risk assessments to the BLDSA for all insured events and training sessions
- Agree to run insured championships under BLDSA championship rules
To make further enquiries about affiliate membership, please contact Vince Classen (firstname.lastname@example.org) For enquiries regarding the specifics of the insurance policy, please contact Richard Hardy, (email@example.com) and for safety related enquiries please contact Richard Hardy (firstname.lastname@example.org)