Frequently Asked Questions
The Champion of Champions is an epic challenge in completing a 5mile, 3 mile then 1 mile swim with only a short gap in between each swim. The swimmer with the lowest time across the 3 swims will be crowned the ‘Champion of Champions’. Most swimmers enter to complete all 3 swims but there is also the odd swimmer who just enters a single event.
- When do entries open? Around Jan/Feb of each year
- Do I have to be a member of the BLDSA? Yes – only fully paid up members can swim
- Can I wear a wetsuit? No. This particular swim is traditional BLDSA swimming rules
- Is this swim only suitable for the fastest swimmers? No, it’s open to all but advisable to observe that there are strict cut-off times for each swim. You should be aiming to swim a mile in under 35 mins. The longer you take, the longer you have to endure the conditions for!
- Is it cold? Temperatures have varied greatly in the last few years. 2013 was 12 degrees Celsius (getting chilly) whereas 2014 was more like 15 degrees Celsius (tropical). Be prepared for it to be on the cold side as it’s still early in the open water season for most of us.
- Can I feed during the swim? Many swimmers feed on the 5 mile & 3 mile by taking gels that they have stashed in their costume. There should also be the opportunity to put a feed bottle with the lap-counting boat provided it is clearly marked. Never seen anyone feed on the 1 mile.
- Is it a tough swim? Yes, it is, however, the feeling of achievement receiving the certificate at the end is second to none.
- Do I need a buddy to help me between swims to recover? It’s not completely vital but advisable to make the most of the time between swims.
- Can I bring my own kayaker for feeds etc? Yes – as long as he/she doesn’t impede the progress of other swimmers.
- Why should I do it? It’s one of the most brutal and challenging events of the BLDSA swim calendar and being early in the season can be a huge confidence booster for training for Channels, Windermere’s etc later on in the season. Some see this as an essential milestone to know that their training programme is on track
- Will this swim qualify me for anything else on the BLDSA calendar? Yes – it will qualify you to swim 1-Way Windermere provided you finish.
Please email: Msheridan4@gmail.com